Debian 4.0 on AMD64 and SATA with multi-arch DVD

I just installed Debian 4.0, on an AMD64 computer that has a SATA hard
drive, from the multi-architecture DVD. I used "expert" at the first prompt,
since "amd64-expert" was giving errors. I chose the 2.6-amd64 kernel during
installation.

Installation completed successfully, but when it is booted, the console
locks up, the kernel panics, and it stops responding. I tried some fiddling
with the parameters in the "kernel" line in GRUB, but it did not help.
Kindly suggest a solution.

Also, has it installed the I386, or the AMD64, Debian?

--
Masatran, R. Deepak <http://research.iiit.ac.in/~masatran/>