Re: Debian 4.0 on AMD64 and SATA with multi-arch DVD

On Tue, Jul 31, 2007 at 01:07:32PM +0530, Masatran, R. Deepak wrote:
> * Masatran, R. Deepak <masatran@research.iiit.ac.in> 2007-07-23
> > I just installed Debian 4.0, on an AMD64 computer that has a SATA hard
> > drive, from the multi-architecture DVD. I used "expert" at the first prompt,
> > since "amd64-expert" was giving errors. I chose the 2.6-amd64 kernel during
> > installation.
> >
> > Installation completed successfully, but when it is booted, the console
> > locks up, the kernel panics, and it stops responding. I tried some fiddling
> > with the parameters in the "kernel" line in GRUB, but it did not help.
> > Kindly suggest a solution.
>
> I reinstalled Debian using "amd64-expertgui" at the first prompt, using the
> same DVD. The reinstall completed successfully, but it is unable to boot.
> When I add to the "kernel" line in GRUB, I get:
>
> ADDITION:                    RESULT
>
>  1. nothing:                 Kernel panic
>  2. noapic nolapic:          Kernel panic
>  3. acpi=off:                SATA internal errors
>  4. acpi=off noapic nolapic: SATA internal errors
>
> "Kernel panic" looks like this:
>
>     Code: <pairs of hexadecimal digits>
>     Console shuts up ...
>     <0>Kernel panic - not syncing: Aiee, killing interrupt handler
>
> I could not find any hardware problem. The hard drive is a Seagate 7200.10
> 300 giga-byte SATA. The whole computer is new.
>
> Searching the web showed that similar problems were tackled by
> adding/removing kernel modules. Can this be solved by adding/removing kernel
> modules?

if that is the case then you're probably dealing with a situation
where the proper modules are not being used in the initrd to get the
root filesystem up. you could boot a live-cd and chroot into the
system to rebuild the initrd's making sure to include all the modules,
or at least ensuring that you include the right modules...

> ALSO: I want to try the 486 linux-image, but dpkg refuses to install it,
> saying that that package is only for I386. How can I install the 486
> linux-image on my AMD64 computer?

I'm confused. do you have more than one AMD64 computer? or does your
kernel panic above only happen sometimes?