Re: how to set network io priority for a process?\

On Sun, Jul 29, 2007 at 01:54:36PM -0700, Mike Bird wrote:

> Traffic "shaping" usually applies to output.  "Policing"[0] usually applies
> to input.  Since we often can't shape on the router transmitting data to
> us, in such cases we instead have to police on the receiving end and rely
> on the sender's TCP flow control to reduce rates to the point where
> packets aren't lost.  This doesn't work for UDP and ICMP and works poorly
> for varying loads.

Right, but downloads happen by blocks.  Couldn't something sit somewhere
on the data stream and delay the requests for the net ftp or rsync block
if there's an active http transfer in progress?  In other words,
controll the download bandwidth by throttling the rate of upbound
requests.

Doug.