Unable to handle Kernel paging request

Hey,
I recently did the network installation of Debian to a spare HD, and tried running it by itself in my PC, which usually runs windows. It boots into grub, but I get serveral different error messages at different times. I'm never able to load the kernel, I believe. Here're the most common errors:
Unable to handle kernal paging request
Kernal Panic -- Not Syncing
And another which only consists of addresses.
I've tried modifying grub.conf to try and find the kernel, but that didn't help.

Here're the specs on my system:
80GB Maxtor HD (With debian netinst'd on it)
1GB RAM
Intel Celeron Processer, 2.7 ghz
nVidia 6200 video card
One CD-RW drive, one DVD-ROM drive

If you think you'd be up to it, you could also give me a call by phone to help. (251)-978-1092

I'd like it if anyone pretty experienced with Debian could help me.

--Brad