Re: how to set network io priority for a process?

On Sunday 29 July 2007 13:11, Douglas Allan Tutty wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 29, 2007 at 03:32:44PM -0400, Celejar wrote:
> > I have issues similar to Doug's, and I have also wondered whether
> > kernel based traffic shaping is what I need.  Since we both use
> > shorewall, which has an interface to the kernel's shaping capabilities,
> > I suppose we ought to read shorewall-doc/html/traffic_shaping.htm
>
> That's what I'm about to do.  I've only recently (within the past hour
> or two) determined that traffic shaping is what I'm trying to do.

This is not a solution, just a tip to guide your research.

Traffic "shaping" usually applies to output.  "Policing"[0] usually applies
to input.  Since we often can't shape on the router transmitting data to
us, in such cases we instead have to police on the receiving end and rely
on the sender's TCP flow control to reduce rates to the point where
packets aren't lost.  This doesn't work for UDP and ICMP and works poorly
for varying loads.

--Mike Bird

[0] http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/105/policevsshape.html#policingvsshaping