how to set network io priority for a process?

I'm on slow dialup.  Downloads of iso's take days. Yet, I still want to
be able to browse the internet.

I would like to set up something like trickle that will run something
but limit its bandwidth so that it lower's its priority.

For example, wget and rsync allow one to limit the bandwidth to a set
rate.  However, if nothing else wants the connection, this wastes
available bandwidth.  Conversely, if I try to view a big web site, it
would like the wget or rsync to get out of the way while I'm doing it.

Trickle allows one to set a rate for programs that don't give the
option.  ionice does something similar for disk io.

What I want is something like ionice but for network bandwidth.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Doug.