Re: [OT] A significant negative impact on Linux's popularity?

Steve Lamb wrote in Article <[🔎] 469C3697.30705@dmiyu.org> posted to
gmane.linux.debian.user:

> Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
>> Its a problem and I don't deny it. There needs to be a
>> solution. dedicated bike lanes are probably the best.
>
> Unless you're a dedicated bicyclist in which case you'll really dislike
> dedicated bike lanes.  AKA, the "refuse lane" since all of the nice debris
> from the road gets swept into that lane both by the cars passing by and
> the cars going into and out of the lane.  Nice things like broken glass,
> nails and other tire friendly junk.

It depends on the area.  Typically, there's a shoulder to the right of the
bicycle lane that catches all the crap that doesn't belong in any traffic
through lane, such as broken glass, parked cars, motorists and bicycles
turning right, etc.

> What's worse is that motorists who see a bike lane feel absolved from care
> around the bicyclist since they now have their own lane; nevermind the
> bicyclist still reserves the right to leave the lane at any time to avoid
> dangers or debris.

Well, just because they get their own lane doesn't absolve anybody (cyclist
or motorist) from signaling and checking for lane clearance before merging.

> Great idea in the mind of the weekend cyclist or the ignorant parent
> who thinks it helps keep their sproggen out of danger.  Horrible for
> anyone who has to use it for more than a few times a year.

Do you ride or are you just making an argument for the sake of it?  Oregon
and Washington at the very least have well-built and reasonably maintained
bicycle lanes and greenways, and provide the proper enforcement.  If your
jurisdiction doesn't, that's your problem: Go to your town/county/region
council/state capitol and fix the problem.

--
Paul Johnson