Re: OT: Cycling: [was: [OT] A significant negative impact on Linux's popularity?]

On Wed, Jul 18, 2007 at 08:29:47AM +0200, Michael Dominok wrote:

> > As for dedicated bicycle lanes, I've been very impressed by the ones in
> > Germany and Austria (usually half of the sidewalk).
>
> Well, it depends. If there's enough space and budget and will there
> might be usable bicycle lanes. But the average bicycle lane (in germany,
> western part) is a holey, hunchbacked, worn-out and neglected strip of
> asphalt which looks like it had no maintainance since the romans build
> it...

I'll take that anytime instead of riding through the traffic in Romania.
(and I do NOT live in Bucharest, brrrr ...)

> ... unless you're living in a city dedicated to encouraging cycling.
> e.g. Münster, home of Linus Gerdeman, our man (who has been) in
> yellow.
> 8-)

I've heard stories that cyclists in Münster ride with stretched elbows
(very unfortunate for pedestrians walking to close to the bicycle lane).
Is that true?

Regards,
Andrei
(Albert Einstein)