Re: where is tzconfig ?

Florian Kulzer wrote:
[ snip: We are trying to figure out how to search for packages that
  depend on specific versions of other packages. ]

>> The following seems to work:
>>
>> $ aptitude search '~i~D(libneon~V0\.25)'
>> i A librpm4
>> $ aptitude search '~i~D(libneon~V0\.26)'
>> i A libsvn1
>>
>> but
>>
>> $ aptitude search '~i~D(libc6~V2\.3)'
>>
>> finds nothing, although, e.g., package hddtemp does depend on
>> libc6 (>= 2.3.6-6)
>> Any idea?
>
> Strange, I get lots of hits with the last command:
>
> $ aptitude search '~i~D(libc6~V2\.3)' | wc -l
> 1153
>
> I am on Sid which means libc6 version 2.6-1.
>
> I have the impression that I get a large number of matching packages
> because I have stable, testing, unstable and experimental in my
> sources.list. This command seems to match package "foo" as long as any
> known version of "foo" specifies a "2\.3" version dependency on libc6.
> This does not have to be the version that is actually installed.
> Therefore I think this command does not really help users who
> accidentally made a mixed system out of their Debian installation.

I think, I understand now why

$ aptitude search '~i~D(libc6~V2\.3)'

doesn't find any package on my system. It first searches in the list of
available packages (determined by the entries in /etc/apt/sources.list)
those matching the pattern in brackets. For these packages aptitude then
searches the installed packages depending on them. Since there is no
libc6 with version number matching 2.3 on my system, the returned list
is empty.
On your system aptitude finds a libc6 with version number matching 2.3
in the available packages list and then returns all names of packages
depending on libc6.
And, as you already said, this does not help to find packages depending
on a certain version of package libc6 which itself can only be installed
in one version.
--
Regards,
Jörg-Volker.