Re: Setting up a cron for fetchmail

On Fri, Jul 06, 2007 at 01:07:33PM -0700, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:

> > What errors do you get?  Send us your fetchmailrc (with the password and
> > other sensitive things XXX'd out.  Also, ensure that
> > /etc/default/fetchmail has START_DAEMON=yes.
>
> ooh. and there too. learn something everyday. I had been running it on
> a per user basis and decided that was a pain because 1) my users were
> never going to mess with their fetchmailrc's and 2) then I would have
> multiple fetchmail's running. Neither of these were desirable, so I
> stuck them all in root and ran it like that.
>
> Thanks for the pointer.

To complete the pointer, here's my fetchmailrc (with my password Xd
out).  Keep in mind, I'm on dialup.  Therefore, I never run into the bug
some people experience of the daemon going into a coma.  I did have a
problem with the default /etc/ppp/ip-up.d/fetchmail script so now have
it /etc/init.d/fetchmail start when the link comes up, and
/etc/init.d/fetchmail stop when it goes down.

If you did indeed run into the coma thing, you could put a script into
/etc/cron.hourly that /etc/init.d/fetchmail restart.

Doug.

# /etc/fetchmailrc for system-wide daemon mode
# This file must be chmod 0600, owner fetchmail

# The default for this option is 300, which polls the server every 5
# minutes.
#
#set daemon	300

# By default, the system-wide fetchmail will output logging messages to
# syslog; uncomment the line below to disable this. This might be useful
# if you are logging to another file using the 'logfile' option.
#
# set no syslog

# Avoid loss on 4xx errors. On the other hand, 5xx errors get more
# dangerous.
#
set no bouncemail

# The following defaults are used when connecting to any server, and can
# be overridden in the server description below.
#
# Set antispam to -1, since it is far safer to use that together with no
# bouncemail.
#
defaults:
  antispam -1
  batchlimit 100

# Example server section.
#
#poll foo.bar.org with protocol pop3
#  user baka there is localbaka here smtphost smtp.foo.bar.org;

poll pop.porchlight.ca with protocol pop3
       user 'dtutty' there with password 'XXXXXXXXXX' is 'dtutty' here