Re: Setting up a cron for fetchmail

On Fri, Jul 06, 2007 at 12:14:29PM -0400, Orestes leal wrote:
> On Fri, 6 Jul 2007 12:08:15 -0400
> Gregory Seidman <gsslist+debian@anthropohedron.net> wrote:
>
> > On Fri, Jul 06, 2007 at 11:59:29AM -0400, Orestes leal wrote:
> > > Hi Folks, i want to setting up a cron job for fetchmail that run every 1
> > > minute, but today i'am so lazy that even I can't do a man page reading,
> > > any help?
> >
> > Ignoring the responses you are sure to receive about getmail being better
> > than fetchmail, why aren't you just using fetchmail as a daemon? Look in
> > /etc/default/fetchmail
>
> Well, I use to be get getmail running but with fetchmail everything
> seems awesome, so why change?, yeah I run fetchmail as a daemon with
> fetchmail -vvv an a properly configured .fetchmailrc but when i try to
> boot up fetchmail within a rc script this won't start, so a cron job
> seems the perfect way to me right now.

I do this in /etc/rc.local

fetchmail -d 300 -f /root/.fetchmailrc

with a global .fetchmailrc in /root. this allows me to get mail for
all my users every 5 minutes. I simply ignore the warning about how
bad it is to run fetchmail as root. I suppose I could wrap it in some
setuid script, but that's a bother.

Anyone care to comment on the security issues of running fetchmail as
root?