Re: RAD tool for debian?

On Fri, Jul 06, 2007 at 03:50:45PM -0500, will trillich wrote:
> RAD/rapid-application-development tool sought... (web page forms
> interface to a database we define)
>
> i've got a friend who's trying to get a license-free solution that'll
> provide an html/web front-end to a database... similar to ms access,
> but we're seeking 1) no licensing fees 2) an html interface, not a
> proprietary interface. we're NOT looking for a cms like joomla, but
> rather an engine for presenting forms to interact with a back-end
> database.
>
> we've tried to get Maypole installed, but run into cpan
> dependency/'make test' snags; same for Jifty.
>
> on debian 3.1, we're using postgres (not mysql) backend, and
> phppgadmin for setting up the tables... any ideas?

Is this one question or two?

For RAD, here's what I do:  write the documentation, then write the
program in Python (possibly with IDLE) so it does what the docs say, and
then see if there are any compute-bound bottlenecks.  Those sections I
rewrite in FORTRAN (the translation is fairly simple).

For an html front-end to postgres, try www-pgsql.  I haven't tried it
but the description in aptitude looks like what you may want.  It
depends on what you mean by license-free.  Its free by the DFSG (its in
the main section) but I don't know specifically what licence it is.

Whenever I've needed a database, I've turned to postgres.  Ususally,
though, its a spcific problem so I write the frontend in Python (usually
CUI).

Doug.