Re: Setting up a cron for fetchmail

On Fri, Jul 06, 2007 at 03:50:36PM -0400, Douglas Allan Tutty wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 06, 2007 at 10:53:36AM -0700, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
>
> > Anyone care to comment on the security issues of running fetchmail as
> > root?
> >

> I've never needed to.  I run fetchmail out-of-the-box as a daemon with
> the fechmailrc in /etc (no-per-user fetchmail).   It just works.

well, looky there...

> What errors do you get?  Send us your fetchmailrc (with the password and
> other sensitive things XXX'd out.  Also, ensure that
> /etc/default/fetchmail has START_DAEMON=yes.

ooh. and there too. learn something everyday. I had been running it on
a per user basis and decided that was a pain because 1) my users were
never going to mess with their fetchmailrc's and 2) then I would have
multiple fetchmail's running. Neither of these were desirable, so I
stuck them all in root and ran it like that.

Thanks for the pointer.