[SOLVED] Re: Configuring for skype

Oscar Blanco wrote:
Hi!

I was checking the Skype website and I saw that Skype-1.4.0.74.deb is for Debian ETCH. You have said that you are using Lenny (me as well). I also have installed Skype, but I did it using Synaptic Package Manager instead of downloading it from the Skype downloads website.

In Synaptic you will find Skype also, in my case it is Skype 1.3.0.53_API, and it works pretty well. I'm not sure, but this could be part of the problem.

Have you got any experience using Synaptic Package Manager?
Whether you do or not, try to install it from any repository.

About me, I'm using an ACER notebook, TravelMate 2301LM. Have you got any problem with your sound configuration before?

Dear all

Thanks for your suggestions. The problem is fixed. There were three steps to it: 1. Options - I had to manually play around to select a device for it to use rather than to rely on "default" and ditto for the mic. Oh well. No biggie really.

2. Ensuring that the mic was plugged into the right input. Again, no biggie but something that one can only eliminate by trial and error when the sound card output/input panel at the back of one's box is nigh on inaccessible to look at directly!

3. Playing around with the mixer to ensure that the devices were configured correctly.

My difficulty was that each of the next steps to configuration relied on the preceding one being resolved correctly.

Anyway - all is fixed and there was nothing mysterious to it. ;-)

Thanks