Re: Continuing saga of xorg restarts

On Sun, Jul 01, 2007 at 08:33:43PM -0400, Carl Fink wrote:
> I tried switching to VLC.  I was resetting the hotkeys, clicked Save, and
> xorg restarted.

how are you start X?

have you looked in .Xsession-errors?

anything showing in the VT from which X was started (usually VT-1 if
using *dm).

.Xsession-errors gets re-written when you log in so, don't log back
in. instead switch to a VT and see what you can find.

or start X with startx so you can keep it from re-starting (you'll
just drop back to the shell when X dies). Then you can examine the
onscreen messages and the logs. you might want to use tee with your
startx to capture stuff that might otherwise scroll off the screen
during your session.

> I'm utterly unfamiliar with the internals of X.  What would VLC have been
> doing when I clicked Save that would cause a xorg restart?

who knows, but I've seen it happen a few times in sid with various
things. Usually there is some kind of trail in the logs.