Re: rampant offtopic and offensive posts to debian-user

On Mon, 2007-05-21 at 22:49 -0400, Celejar wrote:
> On Mon, 21 May 2007 10:59:01 -0400
> Hal Vaughan <hal@thresholddigital.com> wrote:
>
> > On Monday 21 May 2007, Celejar wrote:
> > > On Sat, 19 May 2007 17:02:01 +0200
> > > "M. Fioretti" <mfioretti@mclink.it> wrote:
> > >
> > > [snip]

> > > As people have pointed out; this is exactly the issue. There *are no*
> > > moderators! d-u is (currently) unmoderated (listmasters aren't
> > > [necessarily] moderators). I have no problem with people requesting a
> > > change, but as it exists now, it's an unmoderated list.
> >
> > I don't know what the term is, but within the past year or so there was
> > an issue that came up with some quite heated discussions that involved
> > criticism of Debian or some part of it and someone stepped in and
> > delayed any posts on that thread for 24 hours.
> >
> > How was that done without moderation (or moderation by any other name)?
>
> I have heard of that, although I don't know anything about it.
> Obviously someone was doing some moderating at that time, but I still
> don't think that that makes the list, in general, a moderated list. It
> goes without saying that any list *can* be moderated; after all,
> *someone* has root access on the list servers! The question is whether
> the list rules and code of conduct specify moderation, and whether
> there is, in practice, any actual, sustained moderation.
>
> > Hal
>
> Celejar
> --
> mailmin.sourceforge.net - remote access via secure (OpenPGP) email
> ssuds.sourceforge.net - A Simple Sudoku Solver and Generator

This is not a direct reply to anyone.  It is just something that I
thought should be pointed out.

There are many people here who assume that they should be able to
control what everyone has to talk about.  Yeah, you guys may not like
off-topic posts, but the heat I hear about this just makes no sense to
me.

Calling the off-topic posts on this mailing list offensive is just plain
nuts.  You want to see offensive?  Take a look at the following link to
a thread from a Windows forum.  It is truly offensive, not just
something some people decide they want to call threads offensive because
they don't like some of the points of view expressed, because of some
off-color joke, or just because they are tired of dealing with volume of
posts.

http://www.sharkyforums.com/showthread.php?p=2455305#post2455305

Could OT posting be reduced? Yes, but get some sense of perspective
people.