Re: rampant offtopic and offensive posts to debian-user

On Mon, 21 May 2007 10:59:01 -0400
Hal Vaughan <hal@thresholddigital.com> wrote:

> On Monday 21 May 2007, Celejar wrote:
> > On Sat, 19 May 2007 17:02:01 +0200
> > "M. Fioretti" <mfioretti@mclink.it> wrote:
> >
> > [snip]
> >
> > > This is why I'm posting also this reply to the moderators. I really
> > > hope they put a stop to this, this time.
> >
> > As people have pointed out; this is exactly the issue. There *are no*
> > moderators! d-u is (currently) unmoderated (listmasters aren't
> > [necessarily] moderators). I have no problem with people requesting a
> > change, but as it exists now, it's an unmoderated list.
>
> I don't know what the term is, but within the past year or so there was
> an issue that came up with some quite heated discussions that involved
> criticism of Debian or some part of it and someone stepped in and
> delayed any posts on that thread for 24 hours.
>
> How was that done without moderation (or moderation by any other name)?

I have heard of that, although I don't know anything about it.
Obviously someone was doing some moderating at that time, but I still
don't think that that makes the list, in general, a moderated list. It
goes without saying that any list *can* be moderated; after all,
*someone* has root access on the list servers! The question is whether
the list rules and code of conduct specify moderation, and whether
there is, in practice, any actual, sustained moderation.

> Hal

Celejar