Re: CM-Stacker plus... (was Re: getting a new Debian box)

On Mon, May 21, 2007 at 08:43:37AM -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:
> On 05/20/07 15:02, Douglas Allan Tutty wrote:

> According to a previous post, you only have one HDD?

After discussions with Lenart Sorrensen on amd64, I decided to get a
second drive and raid1 the system.  I filled up the front with 4-in-3 to
get the fans.

> Are there 5.25->3.5 converter rails, or only the 4-in-3 modules?
> Seems to me that having 5.25->3.5 converter rails would allow more
> air-flow above and below the drives.

If I just went with rails, I don't get fans blowing in the front.  The
4-in-3 modules are a box about 4" square on the front with a 4" fan at
the front.  The inside of the box is the right size for 4 3.5" drives, the
outside is the size of 3 5-1/4" stacked drives (hense 4 in 3).  There
may be better fanned drive mounts, I don't know.

> Which video card did you get?

Asus EN7300GT Silent.  Uses NVidia 7300 GT.  256 MB ram, hardware JPEG
decoding (if you use the NVidia driver debian package).

> How well is that mobo supported by Lenny?  Did you have to use the
> Sid installer?  Any other gotchas?

I had to use Etch beta 3 since the drives are SATA.  Haven't tried Lenny
or Sid.  No gotchas at all.

When I bought the box, my short list was this board for Athlon 64 and a
Tyan for Opteron.  Going Opteron would have cost me $500 more (added
cost of CPU and the memory) and I couldn't swing it.  AIUSI, the Athlon
has the extra multimedia capability but since I went with hardware
conversion it wouldn't have been an issue.  I haven't _yet_ had to wait
for anything other than disk IO, but who knows what 10 years will bring.
The first upgrade I do will be to add a second 1 GB stick to make the
DDR2 double-channel.

Doug.