Re: rampant offtopic and offensive posts to debian-user

On Tue, 22 May 2007 06:58:19 +0200
"M. Fioretti" <mfioretti@mclink.it> wrote:

> On Mon, May 21, 2007 10:46:09 AM -0400, Celejar (celejar@gmail.com)
> wrote:
>
> > I'll point out that the OT thread I started (Good, evil, etc) was a
> > response to a sig that I felt attacked religion unfairly. Many
> > people use quite provocative sigs, ridiculing (often wittily)
> > political or religious views they oppose. If we demand that posts be
> > inoffensive, I counter-request that people cut the offensive sigs.
>
> Generally speaking, I would probably agree with you, at least in
> principle. Right now, this looks to me as just another attempt to
> troll (or make Roberto start to troll again), or at the very least to
> steer attention from your faults.

If I politely disagree with you and provide reasoned arguments, that
makes me a troll?

> More exactly, I think that, even if you were right, the sigs are a
> totally unrelated issue wrt the initial complaint of this thread and
> that you, Roberto and the others are NOT in a position to negotiate or
> counter-request anything right now. All of you make way too much OT
> noise on list period. Whatever was the initial reason for *SOME* of
> those threads, nobody cares anymore.

The sigs are most definitely *not* a separate issue; I had started an
OT thread out of an objection to what I felt was a gratuitously and
unfairly offensive sig. Since one of the consistently recurring
objections to OT traffic has been offensiveness, then that same concern
applied to sigs is, IMO, perfectly germane.

> If there were offending sigs or offending language and an initial
> request to stop doesn't succeed, you should have asked the moderators
> (*) to ban those who caused the problem.
>
> We can discuss sigs moderation again AFTER you all have started to
> behave properly. And, I'd add, only if you all promise in advance to
> NOT participate in that thread, if we need to end it some day :-)

I'd say you sound much more trollish than Roberto or I.

> 	Marco
>
> (*) yes, the moderators, that is listmasters or whatever you want to
> call them. I have read your objection that this is a not moderated
> list, but it is irrelevant. My proposal was to ban outright your email
> or IP addresses, not to hold and check each single email sent to the
> list by anybody.

Celejar