Re: rampant offtopic and offensive posts to debian-user

On 05/19/2007 10:16 PM, Roberto C. Sánchez wrote:
[...]
OK.  Let's recap:

 - Amy asked: "If somebody's current provider provides only POP, should
   they be forced to switch to another provider just for the privilege
   of being on this list?"
 - I pointed out that [...]

Amy asked a rhetorical question--not a technical one.

   mpop would provide some similar functionality to
   IMAP (i.e., deleting messages on the server and so on).
 - Tyler Smith tells me I missed the point, that I am using this as a
   license to continue posting OT and then goes on a missive about how
   if things don't get fixed how we will lose both newbies and
   experienced users and how he is willing to sacrifice some freedom in
   the topics on the list to keep that from happening.  (Please note
   that this was in reply to my *technical* message about managing POP [...]

It was not a *technical* message. It was a *rhetorical* question; the person who asks a rhetorical message already knows the answer, and in the case of Amy's question, the answer is _no_: a user should not have to change ISPs just to adjust to a few people's desire to post off-topic messages.

   mail from the server and that he also undid my change of the Subject
   header I made to reflect the new direction of that subthread.)
 - I reply to clarify that I was addressing a technical point, pointed
   out that he undid my change to the Subject header and then also
   pointed out that he was taking my technical Debian-related discussion
   and making it seem like that was somehow an attempt of mine to make
   things even *more* OT. [...]

This thread is not off-topic; it's about the future of debian-user, and AFAIK, debian-user is on-topic in debian-user. I want debian-user to continue to be freely accessible to all and unmoderated, but it seems a few people want to ruin it for the rest.