Re: OT: Re: rampant offtopic and offensive posts to debian-user

Hi all,

I really, honestly think this thread has gone on quite long
enough--it has degenerated into an argument over whether or not OT
posters have taken the hint, and I really don't see that getting
anywhere. So, to summarize what I think has been said so far:

1) Offtopic posts are out of control (including this thread).

2) This is a problem and needs to stop.

3) People are angry, whether because of the offtopic posts or
   because of other people being angry at them.

4) People have a right to express themselves.

5) BUT perhaps there are better places.

There were more points on both/all sides, but to keep my inbox
readable I've been deleting as I read and so can't speak to them.

Anyway, I know this is presumptuous of me, but I guess I would just
like to request that anyone posting to this or /any/ offtopic
thread first read through the whole thread and/or any summaries of
the thread and determine whether you are repeating yourself or
others. At this point, I think a great many relevant points have
been made and perhaps people can just take a step back, think,
breathe, and then if they have something that will definitely
contribute to a *discussion* rather than an *argument*, THEN post
it. That way, we avoid repeating each other. Also, if people do
take the time to step away from the computer for a few minutes
before drafting an angry response (righteously or not; I make no
claims to know who is "right"), I feel that this can perhaps be
more productive and less inarticulately furious (anger is fine, but
everyone should remember there are people on the receiving end of
your messages).

Sorry to sound all pious and know-it-all-y, but when people are
arguing over numbers of posts, who outranks whom, and whether or
not people get the point, it's time for everybody to take a break.

Hoping for a resolution without bloodshed,
Amy