Re: rampant offtopic and offensive posts to debian-user

On Sat, May 19, 2007 at 10:50:31PM -0400, Hal Vaughan wrote:
> On Saturday 19 May 2007, Roberto C. Sánchez wrote:
> > On Sat, May 19, 2007 at 10:17:16PM -0400, Hal Vaughan wrote:
> > >
> > > Did it ever occur to you that there is a reason for "bash Roberto
> > > festivities"?  Perhaps your behavior is much more offensive to
> > > others than you realize and perhaps they are trying to signal you
> > > that they do not find it acceptable.
> >
> > Did it ever occur to you that your own behavior is even more
> > offensive? The least you could have done was read my post and the
> > parent post before flying off the handle at me.
>
> 1) I did read them.

Then please identify what was it about this post:

Which was a reply to this post:

Seriously, I'd like to know what about it caused your reaction.

> 2) I fly off the handle.  Look in the mirror.

OK.  Let's recap:

 - Amy asked: "If somebody's current provider provides only POP, should
   they be forced to switch to another provider just for the privilege
   of being on this list?"
 - I pointed out that mpop would provide some similar functionality to
   IMAP (i.e., deleting messages on the server and so on).
 - Tyler Smith tells me I missed the point, that I am using this as a
   license to continue posting OT and then goes on a missive about how
   if things don't get fixed how we will lose both newbies and
   experienced users and how he is willing to sacrifice some freedom in
   the topics on the list to keep that from happening.  (Please note
   that this was in reply to my *technical* message about managing POP
   mail from the server and that he also undid my change of the Subject
   header I made to reflect the new direction of that subthread.)
 - I reply to clarify that I was addressing a technical point, pointed
   out that he undid my change to the Subject header and then also
   pointed out that he was taking my technical Debian-related discussion
   and making it seem like that was somehow an attempt of mine to make
   things even *more* OT.
 - Next, you join in and tell me that I sidetracked the discussion.
 - I tried to explain the above to you.
 - You told me my behavior was offensive.
 - Here we are.

> But since you don't seem able to cope with the concept that you could
> just possibly be wrong,

I will freely admit when I am wrong.  I've done so plenty of times in
the past.  Please search the list archives for public evidence of this.

> and because, after having come back from an
> auto show, and now am going out for ballroom dancing and therefore have
> more to do on a Saturday night than argue with someone who seems unable
> to examine himself, I'll go away and let you feel like you've bullied
> me into submission.

Wow.  I am not trying to bully anyone.  I simply dislike being attacked,
as do most people.

> That'll give me time to decide if it's time to add only the third name
> I've ever put in a kill file since first found out I could do that back
> in 1987.
>
> I'm sure you can find other people to be rude to and that should keep
> you quite occupied for a few more hours.

I'm sorry if you feel I have been, as I most clearly have not been.

Regards,

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sánchez