Re: (OT) Re: rampant offtopic and offensive posts to debian-user

On Sun, May 20, 2007 at 12:34:29AM +0000, s. keeling wrote:
> Roberto C  Sánchez <roberto@connexer.com>:
> >
> >  On Sat, May 19, 2007 at 10:15:01PM +0200, M. Fioretti wrote:

> > > You mean more bad than "the main support forum of one of the purest
> > > (in the FSF/GNU sense) distros out there is worthless because it's
> > > more noise than substance"?
> >
> >  Please quantify the total number of posts, and total number of OT posts
> >  in the period of time over which you are making your assertion.
>
> Why should he have to?

Becuase I am one of the principal "targets" of this discussion.  If he I
is going to make a broad generalization that potentially affects me and
others' perception of me, then I think that he should back it up.

> At the same time that the release manager for
> the Debian project is practically begging you to stop, you and others
> are continuing to respond to threads which are egregiously OT.

With all dues respect to Steve's position within the Debian project, it
doesn't carry a great deal of weight on *this* list.  In fact, Steve
didn't really "beg" me stop.  He simply criticized me for expressing my
opinion, which he is perfectly free to do.  I respect his opinion,
however, and have told him as much in an offlist mail.  In any case,
would you care to point out which replies I have made to the egregiously
OT threads since Steve's mail.

If you don't keep all the list mails on your machine, here is a starting
point: http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2007/05/mail6.html

You can search for Steve's name on that page and then for mine where it
appears after his.  Also, don't forget page seven after that page.

If you want, I'll save you some work.  This is the only one:

It was a message pointing out that Michael M.'s reply was to a message
that I posted over two days ago.

> Just stop.  Have some consideration for others.  There's plenty of
> other places out there for discussions about the RIAA, religion, and
> even sponge burning.  You (and others) are displaying monumental
> ignorance, not to mention arrogance, by not going there with
> discussions like that.  Take it off list.

Well, I and the others *have*!  In case you haven't noticed, that is.
We are getting tired of hearing "STOP!!!!!" when we already have.
Please, it is now your turn to stop.

> I can point to solutions others might take to solve the problem too,
> but why should they have to?  They're here to learn about Debian and
> Linux and FOSS.  They're not here for bible study, US political
> discussions, or whatever else you may consider interesting that has
> nothing to do with Debian and FOSS in general.

Regards,

-Roberto
--
Roberto C. Sánchez