Re: (OT) Re: rampant offtopic and offensive posts to debian-user

Douglas Allan Tutty <dtutty@porchlight.ca> wrote:

>Anyone receiving their email via ham radio would be in a bit of a pickle
>since it would be them that caused such messages to be transmitted on
>ham frequencies.

Thats a good point, we should be considerate of other users, when we make
our rants. What it comes down to pretty much is some people want a
moderated debian-user list!

It seems that some people are confused by the code of conduct of the
mailing lists.  I have only found this reference.

Code of conduct

When using the Debian mailing lists, please follow these rules:

    * Do not send spam; see the advertising policy below.
    * Send all of your e-mails in English. Only use other languages on
mailing lists where that is explicitly allowed (e.g. French on
debian-user-french).
    * Make sure that you are using the proper list. In particular, don't
send user-related questions to developer-related mailing lists.
    * Wrap your lines at 80 characters or less for ordinary discussion.
Lines longer than 80 characters are acceptable for computer-generated
output (e.g., ls -l).
    * Do not send automated "out-of-office" or "vacation" messages.
    * Do not send subscription or unsubscription requests to the list
address itself; use the respective -request address instead.
    * Never send your messages in HTML; use plain text instead.
    * Avoid sending large attachments.
    * When replying to messages on the mailing list, do not send a carbon
copy (CC) to the original poster unless they explicitly request to be
copied.
    * If you send messages to lists to which you are not subscribed,
always note that fact in the body of your message.
    * Do not use foul language; besides, some people receive the lists via
packet radio, where swearing is illegal.
    * Try not to flame; it is not polite.

<Sorry for the long paste>

Since Debian-user is not moderated, and since OT topic posts might fall
under using the proper list if available option. The only choice left is
to see if you can change, the list type to moderated, or add more to the
code of conduct. Even if you clarified the code of conduct, how are you
going to enforce the action, on a non moderated list? Especially one that
goes to usenet and if moderated could effect the very ethos of what
Debian has accomplished, and tires to accomplish. ie Usenet is pretty
much non moderated form of communication.

What also some people forgot to consider is the reason some people post OT
in debian-user is the proper list has very little traffic. So some people
post to get a better response since they feel ignored on the proper list.
We see this with new users all the time, I posted to XXX list but got no
response so I am asking my leet question here syndrome.

I really don't see a good solution other than to increase our ability to
communicate. Which for some people probably restrict their freedoms as
they seem to want to exercise them. Like the old saying goes its not what
you say its how you say it.

Gnu_Raiz