Re: (OT) Re: rampant offtopic and offensive posts to debian-user

On Sat, May 19, 2007 11:18:22 AM -0500, Gnu_Raiz
(Gnu-Raiz@midsouth.rr.com) wrote:

> What it comes down to pretty much is some people want a moderated
> debian-user list!.... The only choice left is to see if you can
> change, the list type to moderated, or add more to the code of
> conduct.

I don't know in general, but please note that the specific case which
caused *this* thread is much, much simpler to handle, at least as a
first step. This is not a generic problem: there are 6/7 specific
email addresses which have abused the list for months, so ban them for
a couple of months, period. Without changing anything in the list.

Sure, they could subscribe with other addresses etc... but a ban could
be the only way left, since they have not listened to repeated
invitations to stop, to make them see the light. In the meantime,
everybody else would have all the time to discuss if and how to change
the list type, its policy and what not (even if I'd certainly
recommend an addition to the policy on the lines of "if your OT
messages almost equal your in-topic ones, you have a problem and you
should leave the list until you've solved it")

	Marco

--
Help *everybody* love Free Standards and Free Software
http://digifreedom.net/