Re: (OT) Re: rampant offtopic and offensive posts to debian-user

On Sat, 2007-05-19 at 20:13 +0200, M. Fioretti wrote:
> On Sat, May 19, 2007 11:18:22 AM -0500, Gnu_Raiz
> (Gnu-Raiz@midsouth.rr.com) wrote:
>
> > What it comes down to pretty much is some people want a moderated
> > debian-user list!.... The only choice left is to see if you can
> > change, the list type to moderated, or add more to the code of
> > conduct.
>
> I don't know in general, but please note that the specific case which
> caused *this* thread is much, much simpler to handle, at least as a
> first step. This is not a generic problem: there are 6/7 specific
> email addresses which have abused the list for months, so ban them for
> a couple of months, period. Without changing anything in the list.

That changes many thing. First off BANNING is not the answer. It will be
seen a a "bad thing" by the blogosphere and some journalists that see
only bad things. Many never understand the real discussions on the
Debian mailing lists... amidst the noise.

Now as far as I can see, a solution that *IS* manageable would be for
many users (including myself) would be something along the lines of:

      * Don't respond to "Trolls"
      * Don't respond to "flames"
      * Don't respond to "hard to resist" messages
      * Don't respond to "provoked into" messages

This type of guideline means a whole heck of a lot more than large
sweeping corrections. Plus, we do need someone to thwack the
responder(s) from time to time. Many could do this, specifically and
privately over private e-mail.

> Sure, they could subscribe with other addresses etc... but a ban could
> be the only way left, since they have not listened to repeated
> invitations to stop, to make them see the light. In the meantime,
> everybody else would have all the time to discuss if and how to change
> the list type, its policy and what not (even if I'd certainly
> recommend an addition to the policy on the lines of "if your OT
> messages almost equal your in-topic ones, you have a problem and you
> should leave the list until you've solved it")

No, there is another way, making all Debian lists subscriber only.
--
greg, greg@gregfolkert.net
PGP key: 1024D/B524687C  2003-08-05