Re: rampant offtopic and offensive posts to debian-user

On Sat, May 19, 2007 17:33:41 PM -0400, Hal Vaughan
(hal@thresholddigital.com) wrote:

> On Saturday 19 May 2007, M. Fioretti wrote:

> > * everybody with any metered connection _pays_ real money every
> > time these characters rerun their show
>
> How do I pay real money?  It doesn't cost me extra on my Internet
> connection

Obviously I didn't make myself clear, sorry. If a Mr X sends 100 OT
messages and 100 on topic messages, everybody who pays for every
downloaded kilobyte or dial-up minute pays (at least) twice the money
that would really be needed to have the "privilege" to enjoy Mr X's
"support".

> > * tolerating these situations on what should be a technical support
> >   list is (Joey said it) one of the reasons why _developers_ avoid
> >   these forums, making them less useful.
>
> That is the best point I've seen so far for dealing with the situation,
> but, again, I tend not to follow OT threads.

The fact (again, _Joey_'s words, not mine) that very few developers
still hang out here (and I've seen the _same_ thing on other lists)
seems to prove that many developers think just the opposite, that is
that even if they surely know many ways to not read the crap, they
can't or don't want to afford such an effort only to make a few trolls
happy.

	Marco
--
Help *everybody* love Free Standards and Free Software
http://digifreedom.net/