Re: rampant offtopic and offensive posts to debian-user

On Saturday 19 May 2007, M. Fioretti wrote:
> On Sat, May 19, 2007 15:12:51 PM -0400, Hal Vaughan
>
> (hal@thresholddigital.com) wrote:
> > Not true.  For example, I'm having trouble with Firefox
> >crashing.... Asking here could help a great deal with that.
>
> Of course. But rambling for months about religion or internal USA
> politics has nothing to do with it.

I agree.  My point was that a post being on topic on Debian *AND* on
Gentoo is not a good yardstick.

> > The OT threads don't bother me, but they do seem to bother others,
> > often for the sole point that they can't bear to see anything
> > handled other than in the way they want it handled.
>
> No, sorry, the problem is a concrete, objective one:
>
> * everybody with any metered connection _pays_ real money every time
>   these characters rerun their show

How do I pay real money?  It doesn't cost me extra on my Internet
connection and, other than time, which is so minimal I can't measure
it, I can't think of anything I'm spending cash on that this effects.

> * tolerating these situations on what should be a technical support
>   list is (Joey said it) one of the reasons why _developers_ avoid
>   these forums, making them less useful.

That is the best point I've seen so far for dealing with the situation,
but, again, I tend not to follow OT threads.

Hal