Re: [OT] The record industry, RIAA and US law

On Thu, May 17, 2007 at 04:25:26PM -0700, Michael M. wrote:

> Given the current status of gay marriage in the U.S., we plainly do not
> have an unambiguous right to the pursuit of happiness -- not when the
> President, playing to the typically bigoted and intolerant Christian
> base of the Republican Party, has proposed a Constitutional amendment
> restricting marriage to opposite-sex partners, in the same way that the
> majority of states once restricted marriage to members of the same race,
> also because of Christian prejudices.  ("Almighty God created the races
> white, black, yellow, Malay and red, and he placed them on separate
> continents. And but for the interference with his arrangement there
> would be no cause for such marriages. The fact that he separated the
> races shows that he did not intend for the races to mix." -- from the
> ruling upholding Virginia's anti-miscegenation law, which the Supreme
> Court overturned.)

A few points:

 - There is no *scripture* that can be used in support of preventing
   interracial marriage.  The words of the judge that you quoted are
   certainly *not* the words of God.
 - There *is* scripture that clearly illustrates that God hates
   homosexual relationships:

     "If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of
     them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to
     death; their blood shall be upon them." Leviticus 20:13

 - Why the virtiol against Bush?  What about the amendent proposed by
   Steny Hoyer (a *Democrat*) two years ago that would repeal the
   two-term limit for serving as president?  Clearly he wants another
   term of George W. Bush administration.  BTW, Bush did not propose the
   amendment.  Someone in congress did.  Bush gave his endorsement.
 - What about how three of the seven times that amendments were proposed
   that would invalidate Roe V. Wade and make abortion illegal it was
   propsed by Democrats?  Were *they* pandering to "typically bigoted
   and intolerant Christian base" of the Democratic party?

Regards,

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sánchez