Re: Preventing delayed USB writes

On May 17, 8:50 pm, Douglas Allan Tutty <dtu...@porchlight.ca> wrote:

> > Does anyone know if this problem (excessive writes to the FAT with the
> > sync option enabled) has been addressed in more recent kernels?
> > Or does everyone just suck it up and wait huge amounts of time for
> > USB media to "safely remove"?
>
> Are "excessive" writes to the FAT with sync a problem for the kernel to
> fix?  I thought it was a design flaw of the filesystem.

The (2-year old) discussion of this topic that everyone references
(http://www.uwsg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0505.1/1261.html) seems
to indicate that it is a kernel (O_SYNC) issue.  One poster (Denis
Vlasenko) proposes an O_LAZY_SYNC to address the issue.  I don't know
exactly what O_SYNC is.

What I'm really curious about is whether or not this has been
addressed or overcome by events in the two years since that
discussion.

> To me, ideally, nothing would be written to the flash at all until
> either sync or umount.  Yes, I wait.

Yes, I also wait.  Because KDE doesn't give the user any indication of
how long to wait, the user has to drop to a terminal, run a sync
command, and wait for the prompt to come back to get any indication of
when it is ok to remove.

> > I would rather not experiment on my wife's new mp3 player, but it
> > would
> > be a pain to force her to the command line every time she wants to
> > transfer music to it...
>
> Why not create a button that runs the one command you want?

I'm not looking for a command, I already have a command (sync).

I was hoping there would be a way to tell the system to *sanely* keep
the writes synced, say after each file is closed instead of either not
syncing until umount or the other extreme of syncing after every block
is written.

I would like to be able to configure the system so that when KDE says
that it has finished writing the file, it is finished writing the
file, and I can do a "safely remove" without getting an error message
and having to wait some indeterminate period before trying again.

Oh, and I want a cookie, too.

-Ped