Re: The record industry, RIAA and US law

> > The welfare system is too lenient.  There are a number of people who
> > refuse to work because they actually take a pay cut by getting a job.
>
> Something wrong there. The welfare benefit should be less than the
> minimum hourly wage. Can't blame anyone there, hell would you choose to
> not work for more money or working for less? Are you sure you have that
> right?

Chris - you are right to ask this poster to check the facts.  I wonder
if he was ever on welfare and if so - for how long?  Also I wonder how
easy it actually is to qualify for this welfare.

The differential between minimum wage and welfare does not mean 'the
welfare system is too lenient'.  It means the minimum wage has been
allowed to stagnate over a long period of time.  That is the problem
in Australia.  (On the other hand social security here is becoming
more difficult to access).

In many circumstances welfare recipients get financially penalised for
taking on work.  But all the measures to remedy this do nothing to
effect the root cause: the very poor wage rate of many low-status
jobs.

I think we like to make sure our toilet cleaners and our supermarket
workers are economically stranded.  Then they will all be forced to
keep doing their jobs - for us.  And the wages of the other sector of
the economy just keep escalating.

Why does this poster care about what 'they' do - is he worried there
will be no one to clean his shoes?