Re: [OT] The record industry, RIAA and US law

Celejar wrote:
> On Thu, 10 May 2007 18:24:42 +0200
> Joe Hart <j.hart@orange.nl> wrote:
[snip]
>>> Further reading:
>>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atomic_bombings_of_Hiroshima_and_Nagasaki
>> My understanding of the period leads me to believe that the second bomb
>> was dropped as to prove to the Japanese that the first bomb was not a
>> fluke and the same type of bomb could be repeatedly dropped until they
>> surrendered.  While I agree that it came a bit too soon after the first
>> bomb, and some diplomatic efforts should have been attempted after the
>> first, lines of communication were poor then, and how many more Allied
>> lives would have been lost if the fighting continued?
>>
>> The number of American lives were the only things that the US considered
>> worthwhile at the time.
>
> I appreciate the defense of my country (our country? do you still
> consider it yours?), but I would disagree about the number of American
> lives being the only thing the US considered worthwhile; they probably
> saved (in the long run) Japanese lives too, and I daresay at least some
> US politicians and military personnel considered that.

Yes, I consider the USA my country too.  I have dual nationality, so I
am American and Dutch.  I see the pros and cons of both systems of
government, and I have no real preference to one over the other.  But
the media issue is a strong point for the Dutch.

As for the foreign policy, the countries are actually similar, but the
one big difference is that The Netherlands is not actively forcing
democracy on other countries (although they do participate in Bosnia and
in Afghanistan).

What I am so against is the fact that the US seems to think it is their
right to go to other counties, where they do not have jurisdiction and
kidnap people that *may* be terrorists and hold them for years without
actually charging them with a crime.  This is very contrary to the bill
of rights that all Americans enjoy, or at least used to.

Now, don't think I am defending terrorism because I am not.  I am
however defending the rights of people to know what they are accused of,
and for the police to have some probable cause before they tear apart
someone's house, and heresay is not admissible in most courts, so having
someone just say you're a terrorist is not grounds for probably cause.

On the other hand, how can one pro actively stop a band of terrorists?
There is a very fine line between privacy and secrecy.  Therein lies the
problem.  The thought police must exist if they are to stop people from
committing atrocities before they commit them.

Arguing both sides of the issse will not get me anywhere, and I really
don't want to argue in the first place.  What I am saying is simply that
this issue is a very difficult balancing act and it is very difficult to
keep from going overboard, and I think the USA has done exactly that
with respect to this so called war.  What they are doing now just breeds
more terrorists. I think we all don't want that to happen.

I don't know about you, but I would rather not be blown up by a suicide
bomber, and I do know that it is impossible to stop someone from
inflicting damage if they are intent in going down in flames.  Sure, one
can minimize the damage, but there is damage nevertheless.

What really fears me is that it is just a matter of time before one
group of radicals gets access to WMD and I pray they don't send them my way.

Joe