Re: Network connections breaking after bootup

On Mon, May 14, 2007 at 08:09:44AM +0000, Tim Johnson <tim@johnsons-web.com> was heard to say:
>   Hi Daniel:
>   I ran `apt-get remove network-manager' and rebooted, but the problem
>   persists. Any other ideas?
>   thanks
>   tim

  No more ideas about specific things that could be wrong.

  I would look at syslog, though, and maybe the daemon log.  This sounds
likely to be a user-level thing, so dmesg won't help, but syslog might
say something.  Also, see what programs like "ifconfig" and "route" say
when your network is broken -- is it still apparently OK, or is the
interface being taken down/reconfigured?  See whether your DHCP server
thinks that the client has released its lease.  Oh, and just for
completeness, you might want to verify that you actually have linklights
after the connection dies (checking the obvious never hurts :) ).

  Daniel