Re: Network connections breaking after bootup

On 05/14/2007 10:18 AM, Tim Johnson wrote:
On Monday 14 May 2007 20:46, Michael Pobega wrote:
On Mon, May 14, 2007 at 12:49:41PM +0000, Tim Johnson wrote:
On Monday 14 May 2007 20:00, Michael Pobega wrote:
Nothing there looks out of the ordinary. The only ones having to do
with the internet are apache2, bittorrent, and cupsys. Try disabling
those and see what happens next time you boot up. Also post the output
of this command for me:
  That made no effect.

ls -l /etc/rc2.d/ | grep "S"
 Here is the dump:
 [...]
thanks again
tim
Hm, it doesn't look like any of those services are effecting your
ability to connect to the internet. Does the internet work on all of
your other computers?
 Yes. and I use it all the time. I'm a web programmer.

Or have you tried hard resetting the router, to figure out if it really is Debian causing you these problems?
   I can reset the router in a while. Business interferes as we speak.
Here's one scenario.
   Boot up.
   Log in.
   Ping router  -- fine
   Ping my current workstation -- fine
   Ping outside (internet location) ping stalls after 3 responses.

What Internet host are you trying to ping? I ask because some sites block pings. Www.yahoo.com responds to my pings.

As another test of connectivity, try to use lynx or wget to fetch http://www.yahoo.com/ .

  Another scenario.
  Boot up, login, wait a few minutes, No network.
  How 'bout iptables?
  I'm working with client as I write, will have some time shortly to
  check iptables - but it's been so long since I worked with it, that
  maybe you can clue me in. My linksys router is doing the firewalling
  now.

thanks :-)
tim

Perhaps you can, for testing purposes only, configure the Linksys router to allow all outgoing connections.

I have a few more questions to ask:
    Can other machines on the name network ping Internet hosts?
    Can other machines on the name network browse the Internet?
    After pings to the Internet are blocked, can you still consistently
        ping your loopback IP, your router and your network card?
    Is your machine on a private network IP address?
    Is your router performing network-address-translation?

I'm beginning to think that the problem is either in the configuration of eth0, or the Linksys router. The router might be configured to be overly suspicious or restrictive.