Indic scripts in terminal

My 'LANG' is 'ta_IN.UTF-8'. I am on an up-to-date Debian Testing computer.

I am using Latin script, and Tamil script in Gnome Terminal. The display
gets slightly garbled around the Tamil text. I guess that this is because
Vim is aware of Unicode characters that combine together, but Gnome Terminal
is un-aware that when characters combine, they require as many cells as the
number of characters that have combined. How can I fix this?

--
Masatran, R. Deepak <http://research.iiit.ac.in/~masatran/>