Re: Network connections breaking after bootup

On Sun, May 13, 2007 at 04:55:24PM +0000, Tim Johnson <tim@johnsons-web.com> was heard to say:
> Etch was installed yesterday via netinst. Network appeared
> to configure properly - software installation from mirror
> went without a problem
>
> The problem (sort of) goes like this:
> I can boot the machine, and ping any nodes on my network.
> I can ftp to another machine. Before long, I loose my network
> connection - such as, open a ftp connection, upload something to
> another machine (put), and when the ftp connection is closed, I lose
> the network.

  I've had problems like this caused by network-manager.  It arbitrarily
decides that a working interface doesn't exist and shuts it down.  If your
interface gets set to 169.something when you lose connectivity, that's a
sign that this might be what's going on -- you could also check out syslog.
Removing network-manager fixed everything for me.

  Daniel