Re: xkb options

On Wed, 25 Apr 2007 15:03:51 -0500
"Russell L. Harris" <rlharris@oplink.net> wrote:

> * Celejar <celejar@gmail.com> [070425 14:07]:
> > On Tue, 24 Apr 2007 10:38:57 -0500
> > "Russell L. Harris" <rlharris@oplink.net> wrote:
> >
> > Thanks for the suggestions. Any recommendations about typing tutor
> > software or resources? I'm currently using dvorak7m, and I've tried
> > gtypist.
>
> Though I already was a QWERTY touch-typist, I did not use an
> instruction program for Dvorak.  Also, there is a problem -- any
> instruction program you find likely is going to be for the modified
> Dvorak layout, rather than for Dvorak classic.
>
> Aside from the numeric key row, there is one other difference between
> modified Dvorak and Dvorak-Classic.  Back in 1936, August Dvorak
> placed the /? key on the left-hand side, and the '" key on the right
> hand side.  For some reason unknown to me, the modified Dvorak
> reverses this arrangement.
>
> The method which was used to teach me touch typing back in 1963 was a
> typewriter with blank key caps (so that you are not tempted to look at
> the keys) and a keyboard chart hanging on the wall at the front of the
> classroom.  But to learn Dvorak, you don't need blank key caps,
> because the keys are labeled according to QWERTY -- so looking at them
> doesn't help you.
>
> So just make yourself a wall chart, set XKB for Dvorak-Classic, and
> start typing.
>
> I think that you shall find that the Dvorak layout is MUCH easier to
> learn that is the QWERTY layout.  Within a week or two you should be
> comfortable with Dvorak or Dvorak-Classic.
>
> Note also that Dvorak-Classic is available also for the console.  Just
> execute:
>
>     # install-keymap dvorak-classic.kmap.gz
>
> Regards,
>
> RLH

Thanks for the suggestions. One reason I was looking for programs is to
get precise instructions for which fingers to use for the different
keys. [Even the programs are lacking; the flagship FLOSS program seems
to be gtypist, which has at least one lesson which throws capital
letters at you before explaining (if it ever does) which fingers to use
to hit shift. I suppose I should just google for some online
documentation that explains the actual techniques and then practice
using software, or just simply by typing as you suggest.

Celejar