Re: xkb options

On Tue, 17 Apr 2007 19:34:08 -0400
cga2000 <cga2000@optonline.net> wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 17, 2007 at 03:36:13PM EDT, Celejar wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I'm setting up Xorg to switch between keyboard layouts using keyboard
> > combinations like 'ctrl_shift'. 'grp:win_switch' works correctly, as
> > does 'grp:ctrl_shift_toggle'. One thing I can't get to work is
> > 'grp:win_shift_toggle' or 'grp:win_ctrl_toggle'. In other words,
> > AFAICT the win key is recognized by itself, but combos involving it and
> > another modifier aren't, even though combos such as 'ctrl_shift' work
> > fine. Any ideas? Am I missing something? In 'xev', 'shift' and 'ctrl'
> > show up as "Shift_L" and "Control_L" (for the left ones), and 'win'
> > shows up as "Super_L" (unless I set 'grp:win_switch', in which case it
> > shows up as "Mode_switch". Any help will be appreciated, as well as a
> > pointer to good docs on this stuff.
>
> Unfortunately, I can't answer the above.. but since I'm genuinely
> interested in everything keyboard-related I do hope somebody else will.
>
> I would like to understand why you want to use _two_ modifiers
> concurrently.  Doesn't X support five modifiers?  If I'm correct .. on a
> standard keyboard, this adds up to something like 400 separate actions
> or thereabout.. To me this sounds like plenty .. I mean _400_ keyboard
> actions to memorize .. to the point where you can use them automatically
> without thinking .. implying that if you have to think .. ponder their
> mnemonic value .. or worse look them up on a cheat sheet ..  it kind of
> defeats the purpose of keyboard shortcuts, no..?
>
> What I'm driving at .. is that synchronizing modifier+<key> is already a
> considerably more difficult task than just hitting <key>. As a result, I
> have banned modifier1+modifier2+<key> from my personal landscape.
>
> Thanks,
> cga

Well, to be perfectly honest, the various guides to keyboard switching (e.g. this one [1]), had mentioned 'grp:win_shift_toggle', which I couldn't get to work, and I then became frustrated trying to understand why. Since I understand very little about Xkb options, I have no idea whether all 400 single modifier combinations (I assume you mean 5 modifiers multiplied by about 80 keys) are allowed in this context; they may very well be.

Thanks,
Celejar

[0] http://www.iglu.org.il/faq/cache/86.html