Re: xkb options

On Tue, Apr 17, 2007 at 03:36:13PM EDT, Celejar wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm setting up Xorg to switch between keyboard layouts using keyboard
> combinations like 'ctrl_shift'. 'grp:win_switch' works correctly, as
> does 'grp:ctrl_shift_toggle'. One thing I can't get to work is
> 'grp:win_shift_toggle' or 'grp:win_ctrl_toggle'. In other words,
> AFAICT the win key is recognized by itself, but combos involving it and
> another modifier aren't, even though combos such as 'ctrl_shift' work
> fine. Any ideas? Am I missing something? In 'xev', 'shift' and 'ctrl'
> show up as "Shift_L" and "Control_L" (for the left ones), and 'win'
> shows up as "Super_L" (unless I set 'grp:win_switch', in which case it
> shows up as "Mode_switch". Any help will be appreciated, as well as a
> pointer to good docs on this stuff.

Unfortunately, I can't answer the above.. but since I'm genuinely
interested in everything keyboard-related I do hope somebody else will.

I would like to understand why you want to use _two_ modifiers
concurrently.  Doesn't X support five modifiers?  If I'm correct .. on a
standard keyboard, this adds up to something like 400 separate actions
or thereabout.. To me this sounds like plenty .. I mean _400_ keyboard
actions to memorize .. to the point where you can use them automatically
without thinking .. implying that if you have to think .. ponder their
mnemonic value .. or worse look them up on a cheat sheet ..  it kind of
defeats the purpose of keyboard shortcuts, no..?

What I'm driving at .. is that synchronizing modifier+<key> is already a
considerably more difficult task than just hitting <key>. As a result, I
have banned modifier1+modifier2+<key> from my personal landscape.

Thanks,
cga