Re: xkb options

On Wed, 18 Apr 2007 20:27:29 -0400
cga2000 <cga2000@optonline.net> wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 17, 2007 at 11:55:33PM EDT, Celejar wrote:
> > On Tue, 17 Apr 2007 19:34:08 -0400
> > cga2000 <cga2000@optonline.net> wrote:

> > > Unfortunately, I can't answer the above.. but since I'm genuinely
> > > interested in everything keyboard-related I do hope somebody else will.
> > >
> > > I would like to understand why you want to use _two_ modifiers
> > > concurrently.  Doesn't X support five modifiers?  If I'm correct .. on a
> > > standard keyboard, this adds up to something like 400 separate actions
> > > or thereabout.. To me this sounds like plenty .. I mean _400_ keyboard
> > > actions to memorize .. to the point where you can use them automatically
> > > without thinking .. implying that if you have to think .. ponder their
> > > mnemonic value .. or worse look them up on a cheat sheet ..  it kind of
> > > defeats the purpose of keyboard shortcuts, no..?
> > >
> > > What I'm driving at .. is that synchronizing modifier+<key> is already a
> > > considerably more difficult task than just hitting <key>. As a result, I
> > > have banned modifier1+modifier2+<key> from my personal landscape.
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > cga
> >
> > Well, to be perfectly honest, the various guides to keyboard switching (e.g. this one [1]), had mentioned 'grp:win_shift_toggle', which I couldn't get to work, and I then became frustrated trying to understand why. Since I understand very little about Xkb options, I have no idea whether all 400 single modifier combinations (I assume you mean 5 modifiers multiplied by about 80 keys) are allowed in this context; they may very well be.
>
> Celejar .. do you realize the above is just _one_ single line ..

Sorry; my MUA (Sylpheed) has a "wrap on input" mode, which I don't
enable, since IIUC, it inserts hard line breaks, which cause problems
if I then edit the message and delete some text, for example. I rely on
manual wrapping, meaning that I have to hit "Linewrap" (or alt-ctrl-l)
before sending, and I often forget. AFAICT, Sylpheed has no
"automatically wrap before sending" mode. I suppose _really_ need to
learn mutt ...

> And now I have to figure out why my mutt setup didn't reformat it to 72
> columns as it should .. per all my tweaking ..
>
> :-(
>
> As to your initial question I still have nothing to offer.
>
> If you need to switch keyboard layout wouldn't it make better sense to
> have a single keyboard action mapped to "select next keyboard layout" ..
> I mean it's not something you do hundreds of time an hour, is it?
>
> So if you use the "windows key" modifier for something like "terminal
> config changes" .. wouldn't it be adequate to hit <winkey>+<L>  to
> switch to the next keyboard layout..?

I don't understand enough about keyboard mapping to fully understand
what you're suggesting; once again, any pointers to readable
documentation on this topic would be much appreciated.

> I do understand the above may not be your primary concern .. as well as
> your frustration and the desire to figure out why it's not working the
> way it's advertised, though.  I'm curious as well.
>
> I have only one Windows key on this laptop and I have remapped to CTRL
> so I can reach it comfortably with my left thumb.
>
> Please let us know when you find something.
>
> Thanks,
> cga

A bit more information (and a correction) about my issues:
Here's what various option settings do on my system:

win_switch - either win key temporarily switches keyboard layout
win_toggle - no effect (either win key)
rwin_switch - right win key temporarily switches keyboard layout
rwin_toggle - right win key permanently switches keyboard layout
shift_win_switch - no effect
shift_rwin_switch - no effect
ctrl_shift_switch - no effect (keys seem to behave just as they do when
pressed together with ctrl_shift without the option being set)
ctrl_shift_toggle - permanently switch keyboard layout

Can someone point me to an explanation of how to interpret these
combinations?

Incidentally, here's the output of 'xmodmap -pm':

> xmodmap:  up to 3 keys per modifier, (keycodes in parentheses):
>
> shift       Shift_L (0x32),  Shift_R (0x3e)
> lock        Caps_Lock (0x42)
> control     Control_L (0x25),  Control_R (0x6d)
> mod1        Alt_L (0x40),  Alt_L (0x7d),  Meta_L (0x9c)
> mod2        Num_Lock (0x4d)
> mod3
> mod4        Super_L (0x7f),  Hyper_L (0x80)
> mod5        Mode_switch (0x5d),  ISO_Level3_Shift (0x7c)

According to 'xev', the win keys produce 'Super_L' and 'Super_R'

Celejar