Re: UUID vs /dev

Might be a little OT, but here is the question: Suppose I plugin an
USB drive (small pendrives, or may be a big backup external disk), KDE
pops up a box to choose the action to mount/cancel the new drive. What
if I don't want to mount it this way (why? i'll explain later **). I
want to go back to CLI and use
 $ sudo mount /dev/sdc /media/sdc  (*** Why use sudo?)
Now, I know this is going to be /dev/sdc (I already have a backup
drive connected, so sdb is used up). So what UUID do I use form a
terminal? Things get a little complicated when you add those, 10-in-1
card readers.. They become, sdc{1-4}, or something like that.

There should be an easy way (terminal based, easy need not always mean
GUI based) way to discover new added hardware and the user be able to
use it without resorting to graphical iterfaces.

(** Why I prefer not using KDE's pop up to mount/umount? Ans: Since I
use Sid, things not quite perfect. Once mounted, I browse the disk
with konqueror. After this I cannot Unmount from konqueror: Device
Busy !!! I have to kill ALL the konqueror related process and only
then the device is free. Fire up konqueror again and then Unmount it.
Hence, the CLI prefereance.)

(*** use sudo coz, if a device is not specified in fstab, user cannot mount it!)

--
Regards
PK