Re: UUID vs /dev

Joe Hart <j.hart@orange.nl> writes:

> Now that is a good reason.  AFAIK, as of the newer kernels (forget
> which release) all drives are now sdX, so this issue becomes moot.  I
> can see why UUID is a good idea, but a LABEL is much easier to read.

Well, my Kubuntu system runs 2.6.20 and havs everything as sdX (when it
was hdX before), and my Debian system runs 2.6.18 and still has hdX,
some somewhere in-between.

Problem with labels is if the label is not set at format time, what
should the system set the label as?  Some random string?  Label is not a
required setting when you format the partition.

--
John L. Fjellstad