Re: UUID vs /dev

On Wed, 2007-04-25 at 19:13 +0200, Joe Hart wrote:
> Greg Folkert wrote:
> [snip]
> > How about posting it here?

> > # /etc/fstab: static file system information.
> > #
> > proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
> >
> > # /dev/hda3
> > UUID=456600fd-b794-4931-8703-bded8a1902bc / xfs defaults 0 1
>
> Wow, you run XFS on your root file system!  I wouldn't dare do something
> like that.  I learned that XFS is good for large files, but most of what
> sits on / are small files.  I also learned that it was a bit unstable if
> power is suddenly lost.

Disclaimer: Filesystem format wars are over. Use what you want, I could
not care less about it. What follows is personal experience. Deal with
it. Thanks. Greg.

No more unstable than EXT3 or JFS, MUCH better than ReiserFS (v3.5 or
3.6, won't try v4.0). I've found XFS to be a much better FS than any
I've really tried for a long time. I've been using it (personally == not
work critical) for years... hmmm 2.4.12-xfs (could be .13 or .14) I
believe. I've had zero barfings with XFS since then. Anytime it (XFS) is
interrupted and shutdown uncleanly it has been fine and recovered very
well... including when writing.

The Big file vs Small file thing... I regularly have 100K+ <1K files in
single directories and XFS holds up just fine. Of course it also holds
up well with 200 4GB+ files.

In fact, while writing this e-mail, we had a power outage. A squirrel
got popped in-between a couple of over-head wires, knocking the main
fuses at the end of the street. Evolution auto-saved this e-mail just
before it and all XFS file systems I have at home came up no problem.

>   That of course is not an issue when one has a good UPS.

Never used one on my workstations. Now my machine downstairs auto-shuts
when power left is less than 5 minutes.

> I was going to post my /etc/fstab which uses UUID, but since you already
> did, there is no point.

Sure there is a point, the more examples in the list, the better the
chances someone will find them.
--
greg, greg@gregfolkert.net

the playfield. -- Thane Walkup