Re: UUID vs /dev

Joe Hart <j.hart@orange.nl> writes:

> I can understand the usage of UUID on removable drives, but it seems the
> new way of dealing with *all* disks is UUID.  Why this needs to be so
> for normal hard drives remains a mystery to me.

Name of the disks are influx in the kernel right now.  For instance, if
you have SATA disks, then depending on the kernel version, it could
either be hdX or sdX (older kernels would have them as hdX and newer
sdX).  From what I can see, even IDE disks are moving to the sdX label.

In the transition period, if you have hdX in your /etc/fstab, your
system might become unbootable with a new kernel install.  If you have
label or UUID, then you continue as if nothing has happened.

--
John L. Fjellstad