custom kernel on etch?

Hello,

I have been using Debian Etch since December. Solid, as advertised.
I'm looking for a link that would discuss the repercussions and
benefits of a custom kernel.

For instance, does a custom kernel mean that you lose all of the
benefits of "stable" that Debian is known for?  Or if you stick with
the Debian kernels is it just as solid, but customized for your
machine?

I am using Asus A7V8X motherboard socket A, AMD Athlon XP 2700+, 1 gig
ram. No wifi or fancy dvd burners, just usb and cdroms.

My current kernel version is 2.6.18-4-486.

Worth the trouble to customize?

Thanks for any help or links. (sorry if this results in a duplicate
post, my first two tries from google groups were rejected).

bs