Re: [OT] Connect to local linux ms access jet database via odbc from php or java

Ron Johnson wrote:

> On 04/20/07 16:05, Mirko Scurk wrote:
>> Hi!
>>
>> I originally sent this post to unixodbc support list but received no
>> answer. Its crucial to me to solve this problem so any help will be
>> apreciated.
>>
>> I spent some time googling and trying to establish connections from
>> linux
>> pc to local mdb file but had no luck. Here is my configuration:
>>
>> Ubuntu edgy 2.6.17-10-generic #2 SMP
>
> Why aren't you asking the Ubuntu forums?  We don't ask Debian
> questions there.

I had. On another partition I have etch amd64 installed and things are
still not working.

> Anyway, see below for my resonses.
>
>> unixodbc 2.2.11-13
>> unixodbc-bin 2.2.11-13
>> libmdbodbc 0.5.99.0.6pre1.0.20051109-3
>> libmdbtools 0.5.99.0.6pre1.0.20051109-3
>> mdbtools 0.5.99.0.6pre1.0.20051109-3
>> mdbtools-gmdb 0.5.99.0.6pre1.0.20051109-3
>>
>> # cat /etc/odbc.ini
> [snip]
>> +-----------+
>> SQLRowCount returns 34
>> 34 rows fetched
>>
>> What am I doing wrong?
>> Is it even possible to connect from php to mdb?
>> Do I have to buy some drivers?
>> Is it possible to connect from netbeans to this odbc dns via jdbc-odbc
>> without some special additional drivers?
>
> Does mdbtools supply a daemon?  If not, you might have to write your
> own.

How come isql then works without daemon?

> More fundamentally, though, is: why are you leaving this data in mdb
> format?  mdbtools is designed for extracting data so you can convert
> it to robust RDBMSs like PostgreSQL or SQLite3.

I had to write "extension" to application already running on jet database.
Another words, I just need read-only access to mdb to get some data
necessary to new application.
Old application is windows-only application accessing to mdb file stored
on linux samba server. I don't see any way to replicate mdb data
constantly to postgres.

Searching Internet there are some (not to many) working examples of such
setup but I can't get to those people. On unixodbc and sqlrelay sites
there are explanations of working setups so I figure it's not impossible.

--
Mirko Scurk