Re: custom kernel on etch?

On April 21, 2007 04:10:05 pm BartlebyScrivener wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have been using Debian Etch since December. Solid, as advertised.
> I'm looking for a link that would discuss the repercussions and
> benefits of a custom kernel.
>
> For instance, does a custom kernel mean that you lose all of the
> benefits of "stable" that Debian is known for?  Or if you stick with
> the Debian kernels is it just as solid, but customized for your
> machine?
>
> I am using Asus A7V8X motherboard socket A, AMD Athlon XP 2700+, 1 gig
> ram. No wifi or fancy dvd burners, just usb and cdroms.
>
> My current kernel version is 2.6.18-4-486.
>
> Worth the trouble to customize?
>
> Thanks for any help or links. (sorry if this results in a duplicate
> post, my first two tries from google groups were rejected).
>
> bs

It is up to you whether you want to compile or not but at the very least since
no one has mentioned it yet install the linux-image-2.6-k7 to get a Debian
kernel for your machine that supports the processor better than a 486 generic
image.

Stephen
--
GPG Pubic Key: http://users.eastlink.ca/~stephencormier/publickey.asc