Re: custom kernel on etch?

On Sat, Apr 21, 2007 at 12:10:05PM -0700, BartlebyScrivener wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have been using Debian Etch since December. Solid, as advertised.
> I'm looking for a link that would discuss the repercussions and
> benefits of a custom kernel.
>
> For instance, does a custom kernel mean that you lose all of the
> benefits of "stable" that Debian is known for?  Or if you stick with
> the Debian kernels is it just as solid, but customized for your
> machine?
>
> I am using Asus A7V8X motherboard socket A, AMD Athlon XP 2700+, 1 gig
> ram. No wifi or fancy dvd burners, just usb and cdroms.
>
> My current kernel version is 2.6.18-4-486.
>
> Worth the trouble to customize?
>
> Thanks for any help or links. (sorry if this results in a duplicate
> post, my first two tries from google groups were rejected).
>
> bs

If you really need the faster boot time and quicker speed then go right
ahead and compile your own kernel; You can apt-get the sources from
Debian's repositories, and use those to compile. They're a bit more
guaranteed to work than vanilla kernel.org sources, but it's really up
to you which you want to use.

The Debian kernel sources (As far as I know) are the patched Debian
kernels, so just turn off anything you don't use and recompile.

--
http://digital-haze.net/~pobega/ - My Website
If programmers deserve to be rewarded for creating innovative