Re: Whats happened to my psuedo ttys

Joe Hart wrote:
> Alan Chandler wrote:
>> Joe Hart writes:
>>> I would bet that your video driver is causing this.  Did you recently
>>> install ati's fglrx?
>> No I am using the intel i810 driver - but have been for some time
>>> The ttys, are started in the init script
>> Which one?  I am not actually sure which /dev devices they are.  Another
>> machine of mine has /dev/ptyx (where x is 0-f) but the effected machine
>> has none of these.  Are these the ptys that would be used?
>
>  the file /etc/inittab is where they are generated.
>
>> There is also /dev/ttyx (where x is 0-63)
>>> and
>>> should be available from boot.  But sometimes X will trap the keyboard
>>> so you can't get to them.
>>> I would start by not booting into X and see if it works, then you can
>>> better isolate what is causing your problem.  I am still betting it is
>>> fglrx.
>> I am not sure how I can get it to work without X as Konsole, is
>> dependant on X.  I can Ctl-Alt Fn to get to different consoles with X
>> running - but there is also a bug in the i810 driver that if I go to a
>> text console and then try and go back to the graphics screen the whole
>> machine locks solid.
>
> It still sounds to me like your video driver and X that is causing your
> problem.  I don't think it is the ttys.  I don't have access to an 810,
> so I can't test anything, perhaps someone else can shed some light on
> this for you.
>
>> I am pretty sure the X problem isn't the issue - as I implied above, I
>> don't have the /dev devices - and I have only found that out by not
>> having x running.
>
> hmm, getting beyond my scope here.  I'm afraid I am still a noob.
>
> Joe

Ignore all these messages from me, I am talking about real ttys with the
ctrl-alt-F1 thru F6, not konsole.  Shame on me for opening my big mouth
and read what Greg Folkert says.  He's much better at this sort of thing
(and most everything else).  I am worthless.  Well, not really but on
this issue for sure.

Joe
- --