Re: Whats happened to my psuedo ttys

Joe Hart writes:
Alan Chandler wrote:
On Monday 16 April 2007 22:29, Alan Chandler wrote:
I've just upgraded my Debian Sid system, and now when I try and start
konsole (in KDE) it fails saying it is unable to open a PTY.
Is this a udev problem or something else?

I presume by the deafening silence that this isn't a problem that is hitting everyone else out there. Can someone at least tell me which init script is supposed to set up the psuedo ttys so I can try and figure out why it isn't happening.

I would bet that your video driver is causing this.  Did you recently
install ati's fglrx?

No I am using the intel i810 driver - but have been for some time
The ttys, are started in the init script

Which one? I am not actually sure which /dev devices they are. Another machine of mine has /dev/ptyx (where x is 0-f) but the effected machine has none of these. Are these the ptys that would be used? There is also /dev/ttyx (where x is 0-63)
and
should be available from boot.  But sometimes X will trap the keyboard
so you can't get to them.
I would start by not booting into X and see if it works, then you can
better isolate what is causing your problem.  I am still betting it is
fglrx.

I am not sure how I can get it to work without X as Konsole, is dependant on X. I can Ctl-Alt Fn to get to different consoles with X running - but there is also a bug in the i810 driver that if I go to a text console and then try and go back to the graphics screen the whole machine locks solid. I am pretty sure the X problem isn't the issue - as I implied above, I don't have the /dev devices - and I have only found that out by not having x running.
--
Alan Chandler
alan@chandlerfamily.org.uk